- 2 1/2 lb yellow potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp plant-based butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (1 bag) GOOD PLANeT Cheddar Shreds, divided
MADE WITH GOOD PLANeT
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Using a knife or mandolin, slice potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices. Move sliced potatoes to an 8 x 8 inch oven safe dish, ensuring you keep the potato shape. Repeat until all potatoes have been sliced and the dish is full. Tuck clusters of sliced onion in between every few potato slices.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter alternative over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, garlic, and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add milk, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Stir until it reaches a simmer and starts to thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup cheddar until smooth.
Pour cheddar sauce over the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before enjoying.